Wierton Place Wierton Road Boughton Monchelsea Maidstone Kent ME17 4JW
Photography and Video by Paul Hudson, Faversham, Kent
Unique Planning Permissions for 22 Dwellings
A Grade 11 listed manor house and glass house. Together with the benefit of planning permission for the change of use of the manor house from nightclub and apartments to 1 dwelling and six luxury apartments, the erection of five detached executive homes and separately the erection of four detached executive homes, conversion of the existing ballroom to two dwellings, demolition of the garage block and the erection of four terraced dwellings, together with the associated access and landscaping works.
Wierton is a small hamlet close to Heath Road that joins A229 Linton Hill to A274 Five Wents Sutton Road giving access to Maidstone Town Centre and the M20 motorway at Leeds.
The glasshouse has been restored and the Manor House works are complete with the Final Reports to the satisfaction of the Section 106 requirements.
Wierton Place stands in 3.77 ha. (9.316 acres) of grounds and the approvals include detailed designs and future maintenance programs.
The full planning history and planning permissions can be found on Maidstone Borough Council website under References MA/11/0511, MA/11/0512 and for the four separate executive homes adjoining Greensand Way MA/17/503852/FULL. Maidstone Borough Council have confirmed that the planning permissions MA11/0511 and 0512 have been implemented. Information and photographs are included on this website but are specifically excluded from any contract.
Maidstone Borough Council have confirmed that the planning permissions have been implemented so there are now no time constraints.
- Wierton Place [Red on Master Plan]
- The whole estate can be available for sale with vacant possession and the benefit of the planning permissions set out above. The Glasshouse has been restored and confirmed by Maidstone Borough Council. The restoration works to the Manor House are now completed to satisfy the conditions of the Section 106 Agreement and confirmation from the Council is awaited. The Management Plan for the future maintenance of the Glasshouse, the exterior maintenance of the Manor House and Extension and the Garden Building is agreed and just awaiting final approval.The Conditions to allow the whole development to be built and occupied have now been satisfied. It will be a matter for the Buyer to satisfy the other Conditions such as types of bricks and style of paving etc.
- The Five Homes Site [Blue on Master Plan]
The opportunity to buy the site for five detached executive homes freehold. The plans and details are included. The planning permission is MA/11/5011 with the Listed Building Permission MA/11/5012. See Blue hatched area on Phasing Plan
- The Meadow [Yellow on Master Plan]
The opportunity to buy the freehold interest with vacant possession of the parcel of land outlined in red together with the Right of Way and with the benefit of the planning permission for four executive homes – MA/17/503852/FULL. See Yellow hatched area on Phasing Plan
Buyers may inspect the exterior of the whole property at any time during the day at their own risk.
Wierton Place – Offers invited in excess of £5,000,000
The Meadow – Offers invited
The Five Executive Homes Site – Offers invited
All offers to be subject to contract.
Offers for the whole of Wierton Place preferred.
All offers are to be subject to contract only.
All offers to be submitted to Walter & Randall Limited by email only
Proof of availability of funds to facilitate the purchase to be provided.
Each party to be responsible for their own costs
Buyer to be responsible to pay Walter & Randall Limited a fee of 3% of the sale price or prices plus VAT, as a condition, on completion or unconditional exchange of contracts if there is o be delayed completion.
Peter Thomas FRICS firstname.lastname@example.org 07767 478744
Set out are the various important Consents etc which set out the planning and Section 106 position. The Section 106 has now been varied under 20/500/MOD106 so that the future maintenance of the historic assets will be the responsibility of the owner(s) of the Manor House, the Manor House Extension, the Ball Room and the Glasshouse. The obligation is to deposit £90,000 in a dedicated Client Account only to be used for exceptional circumstances. The general upkeep and maintenance are to be dealt with as a Service Charge via the Management Company.
All additional information can be obtained from Maidstone Borough Council web site- Planning -Wierton Place.
A manor house is a country house which was historically the residence within a ‘manor‘, the basic unit of organisation in the feudal system, in which dwelled the ‘Lord of the Manor‘. So it is with Weirton Place and its estate. Historian Edward Hasted, in his ‘History and Topographical Survey of Kent’, published in 1799 said:
‘WIARTON-HOUSE is a seat in the eastern part of this parish, which antiently gave name and residence to a family, possessors of it. Adam de Wiarton possessed it in the reign of King Henry III. and his descendants continued owners of it until the latter end of the reign of Richard II’.
By the reign of King James I, Weirton Place was in the possession of Sir Anthony St Leger, Master of the Rolls in Ireland, and privy counsellor. By 1734 it was owned by Sir Christopher Powell – the ‘knight of the shire for this county’. Trustees for his surviving daughter sold it to a Mr John Briscoe, ‘gent. of London, who rebuilt it on the brow of the hill, at a small distance southward from the former site of it’,
The present building still stands on its brow. It was substantially altered and extended in a fine Gothic style in 1857 and presents a series of gables to each facade- three each to the east and west, and four to the north. These, plus its huge crenulated chimneys, are powerful features that set the overall character of the building.
The interior of the building was remodelled in 1899 for the Kleinwort family – founders of the private bank of Kleinwort, Sons and Co, established in 1786 to finance trade between Germany and England and which lives on today as Kleinwort Benson. The interior remains a testament to tastes of a leading banking and trading family at the height of Britain’s empire and trade.
More recently, the building was owned by the Cook family of Thomas Cook Travel. It subsequently became a well-known and popular nightclub.
The House and its Garden
The late 19th and early 20th centuries were the high point of the English country house lifestyle – and this can be seen at Weirton Manor by the complex of barns, coach house and stables to the south of the house, the gatehouse at the entrance to the driveway (all sold off when the estate was split up in the 1980’s) and the very large greenhouse within its walled garden just to the north of the main house.
The greenhouse is remarkable not only for its size, but also because of its graceful wrought ironwork. Its central pavilion is particularly grand. The building, complete with well is very largely unaltered from its 1899 state. Overall this is a remarkable example of its type – a testament to the wealthy Victorian upper-class obsession with gardening and to the heyday of Weirton Place estate. It has been beautifully restored by the present owner.